Irish Tax Residency is a complicated area, but it is not impossible. There are many relevant points to be aware of:
- The dates of entry and entry in the Republic of Ireland, on a calendar year basis
- Where you grew up (Domicile)
- What passport you hold
- What you earned
- Where it was paid into?
- Have you emigrated or not?
- Where you earned your money? (Outside the EU, In the EU, North Sea?…)
- What type of vessel you were on? (Oil Rig, Passenger Ship? Cruise Ship? Wind Farm? Aircraft?)
- Is or was the vessel EU Registered
- Who paid you and where are they based?
Essentially, Irish tax residency, will come down to whether you are or intend to be a Resident or Non Resident Seafarer. The more you know yourself, the better I can advise you. Revenue sets the rules, so it’s advisable to know and follow them.
It’s also very important to keep the correct records, of payslips, discharge books….
In addition to the above video, I would recommend investing €25 in yourself and watch my 20 minute Webinar: